Delivery: Can be download immediately after purchasing. For new customer, we need process for verification from 30 mins to 12 hours.
Version: PDF/EPUB. If you need EPUB and MOBI Version, please send me a message (Click “message us” icon at the right corner).
Compatible Devices: Can be read on any devices (Kindle, NOOK, Android/IOS devices, Windows, MAC)
Quality: High Quality. No missing contents. Printable.
How can we create truly multicultural classrooms? In this new edition of her popular text, renowned early childhood educator Patricia Ramsey draws on a wide range of research and practice from different communities around the world to further explore the complexities of raising and teaching young children in a world fraught with societal divisions and inequities.Using engaging examples and stories, this comprehensive volume offers concrete suggestions to encourage teachers to reflect on their own histories and experiences and to challenge and rethink their assumptions and attitudes toward children and teaching. This new, up-to-date edition describes research-based classroom practices to engage children in exploring the complexities of race, economic inequities, immigration, environmental issues and sustainability, gender and sexual orientation and identities, and abilities and disabilities. It also addresses the challenges of teaching in the context of globalization, pervasive social media, and increasing standards and accountability.
- Addresses social and economic inequities and how they affect staff relationships, interactions with parents, and children’s classroom experiences.
- Offers strategies to help teachers initiate conversations with colleagues, parents, and children.
- Discusses long-term structural decisions about early childhood programs, as well as day-to-day classroom teaching plans.
- Includes questions that prompt teachers to recognize the influence of overt and covert societal forces on their motivations and views of children.
- Free supplemental resources, including a comprehensive list of suggested books, can be downloaded at www.tcpress.com.
“A pioneer in multicultural/social justice education for young children, this book reflects Patty Ramsey’s life-long commitment to, and ever-deepening understanding of the issues, challenges, and hopes of inclusive, equitable early childhood programs. At a time when our country seems increasingly polarized over the value and meaning of justice for all, her insights and suggestions are as needed as ever.”
—Louise Derman-Sparks, international consultant on anti-bias education with children and adults, and co-author of Leading Anti-Bias Early Childhood Programs: A Guide for Change
“This book is a timely, relevant resource for anyone who works with young children in any capacity. It supports practitioners to develop an individualized approach to infusing multicultural education—broadly defined—into their world views and work. Ramsey makes a clear and convincing case that multicultural education is not an ‘add-on’; it is a vehicle for shaping children’s lives and creating a more just society.”
—Takiema Bunche Smith, Director of the Early Education Leadership Institute at SCO/FirstStepNYC
- Teachers College Press
- Release Date: December 15, 2009
- ISBN: 9780807773628
- Language: English
- Download options: EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)